Friday, July 11, 2014

#14 What Inspires me!

 What inspires me!

“..And put Thou to sleep” I said as I completed reading out the poetry to them. These were class fifth kids of a municipality school. Should I really bother to explain Shakespeare to them? Even though it seemed like a passable idea, I decided to go for it. “Do you want to know what the word thou means and listen to a story about a man named Shakespeare?” I asked. “Yes didi, please tell us” they responded in a cheerful chorus; always the enthusiastic lot that they were.

This incident is one among the many experiences that I had while teaching at a local municipality school in Pune. I taught English and Maths to students on Saturday as a part of my volunteering through the company’s CSR program. What started out as a passion to try and make a difference to the society went on to become my favourite activity of Saturday.

The students came from very humble backgrounds. Their parents mostly did menial jobs in the neighbourhood. They were illiterate, yet they understood the importance of education and ensured that their children received it. The school was in a dilapidated state. The classrooms were dark and moist. Some classrooms had no benches to sit on. Water logging happened during the monsoons and the mid day meal that arrived every afternoon was tasteless. Yet, every single day, the classrooms brightened up with the bright smiling faces of children who happily squatted on the floor with their pencil box and notebook open in front of them. They scribbled numbers and alphabets by straining their eyes in the dark and dutifully said a thank you prayer before their mid day meals. These were underprivileged children who could not afford any fancy luxuries. Yet they did not complain. They came to school every day and learnt whatever they could. They were humble and generous with the limited means that they had.

Being with them allowed me to connect to life’s harsh reality; where problems were genuine and circumstances were difficult. Their indomitable spirit refused to accept any sympathetic responses from me. All I felt for them was utter awe and a sense of pride. Seeing them so cheerful everyday inspired me to be thankful for life’s little joys. Seeing them play barefoot taught me to be grateful for all the blessings I enjoyed. Watching them struggle and emerge triumphant against circumstances inspired me to keep giving my best. Their wholehearted generosity with birthday chocolates allowed me to experience the joy of giving! Their kindness inspired me to become more compassionate.

In the few months that I spent with these little angels, I was inspired to be more thankful; to appreciate what I have without being blinded by greed. It inspired me to be a good human being first, to do good when and while I could. I never told them how much they inspired me to be a better person, but the memories and lessons will remain etched in my heart forever.

Inspiration indeed comes from quarters you least expect it to!


No comments:

Post a Comment